Monday, July 20, 2009

The Health Care Debate

The following post is a letter to the editor which I submitted to the Florida Times Union a couple of weeks ago. It was published today, July 20, 2009.

I am working on a piece addressing the argument of a "Living Constitution" versus the "Strict Constuctionist" view of our beloved Constitution of the United States. I hope to post it in the next few days. In the mean time feel free to comment or attack my views on national health care.

NATIONAL HEALTH CARE
Problems currently
The opponents of health care reform say that we do not need government meddling in our health care system.
Their mantra is we do not need bureaucrats making medical decisions instead of our doctors.
News flash: Health care companies, commonly known as insurance companies, are run by profit driven bureaucrats.
My insurance company, obtained through my wife's employer, will not approve the cholesterol medicine my doctor has prescribed.
Instead of Lipitor, I am on Zocor, which does not bring the numbers down to where the doctor wants them. Sounds like a good plan, huh?
My wife had to have shoulder surgery six weeks ago, after being jerked around by the health care system for almost two years. (And they say we will have to wait on service if we get government sponsored health care.)
The out-of-pocket cost for the surgery was $1,181.65.
Fortunately, we could pay the cost. However, had it happened 10 years ago when our children were still at home, there would have been no way to afford the procedure.
It is time to go to a single payer system, or at least make health insurance a non-profit business.

RONALD DEGROVE

No comments:

Post a Comment